Academics at USC
THE HAROLD W. BAPTISTE LECTURE SERIES
Shirley Baptiste and family sponsors its fourth annual lectureship on pastoral ministry and leadership,
Things to Remember
The Language Centre
At The Language Centre, our mission is to promote experiential learning within a nurturing, Christian environment where learners attain the language competencies necessary to remain relevant in an evolving world.
Our vision is to be the nucleus of a multilingual university where Christ is reflected in our practice, and learning is a way of life.
- Language competency is a tool, a means to an end. We hold to the instrumentalist view that learners seek to acquire competence in another language because they can see the benefits of being bilingual or multilingual.
- Learners need supportive environments where they can engage with target languages if they are to achieve proficiency. This includes focusing on teacher attitudes and approaches, in addition to classroom and physical environments. Learning should be fun and interactive.
- Language education must acknowledge the integral role language plays in life. As such it should include an extension of learning to communities outside the classroom, exploration of cultural understanding, connection with other subject areas so language isn’t learned in isolation, focus on learning for “real life” and in “real world” situations, and the recognition of students’ native languages, encouraging comparisons and therefore greater understanding.
- As part of a Seventh-day Adventist organization, our ultimate mission is to prepare individuals “to become disciples of Jesus Christ, to proclaim the everlasting gospel embraced by the three angels’ message, and to prepare the world for Christ’s soon return. Guided by the Bible and the Holy Spirit,” we “pursue this mission through Christ-like living, communicating, discipling, teaching, healing, and serving” (SDA Church Mission and Method taken from the Official Statements at www.adventist.org). Preparing for Christ’s return includes sharing the good news throughout the world, and language education provides us with the key to access nations and peoples.
- Introduce products and services which support language learning and expose learners to the cultures of countries which speak their target language. This includes proficiency courses in English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese, language phrase books and workbooks, conversation clubs, cultural experiences and multinational cuisine.
- Train university faculty and staff in key areas so that students can interact in more than one language when conducting routine student business.
- Update signs on campus to reflect a multilingual university population.
- Facilitate tours and study-abroad opportunities for learners to experience life in their target language.
English as a Second Language
- Certificate Programme
- One-month Intensive
- Two-week Intensive
- One-week Intensive
Foreign Language Courses
- Rosetta Stone Self Study in Spanish, French, Portuguese
- Certificate Courses in French and Spanish (Coming Soon)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply or for more information.